Nyerguds
messaggio11 Sep 2017, 14:28
Messaggio #1

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: OldGamer
Utente Nr.: 20.463
BGE Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
SO Windows7

I decided to make a thread for this tool, because everything related to it is always posted in the threads about the games I'm working on, and that's getting really messy. So here is one central place where all progress updates will be centralized.

Currently the tool is still called the "C&C64 File Converter", since I started it with formats from the Nintendo 64 ROM of Command & Conquer, but I'll probably change that name.

In this thread, people can post requests, examples and specs of graphics formats for which there are currently no converters, and I can see if it's possible to implement them in my tool.

Download:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...verter/release/
Just take the last file in the folder; it should always be the latest version

Source code:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...eConverter/dev/

Screenshot:

Current list of supported file types: (in my current development version)
  • Basic image formats (png, bmp, gif, jpeg, with extended support for saving/loading paletted pngs that contain transparency or incomplete palettes)
  • Command & Conquer 1 N64 .IMG image (4-bit/8-bit/16-bit, with a paletteless 4-bit/8-bit variety)
  • Command & Conquer 1 N64 map (game terrain; not an image format. Extra tools are available for generating height map images for this, since C&C64 has 3D terrain.)
  • Command & Conquer 1 N64 tiles set (4-bit and 8-bit variants, always come in a group of 4 files which includes the palette)
  • Command & Conquer 1 N64 palette (4-bit version is a list of 16-colour palettes, 8-bit version is a single 256-colour palette) (8-bit colours)
  • Command & Conquer 1 PC map (game terrain; added to allow conversion to N64 type)
  • Command & Conquer 1 PC tileset block (8-bit, paletteless) (More C&C types will probably be added later)
  • Westwood 256-colour palette (6-bit colours)
  • Westwood CPS (320x200 8-bit image, different supported compressions, can contain a palette)
  • Westwood LCW image (Blade Runner 16-bit image)
  • KORT BMP frames file (8-bit, paletteless)
  • KORT screen from "KORT_DAT.###" (320x200 8-bit image, paletteless)
  • Dynamix SCR (4-bit and 8-bit, paletteless)
    -> There are 2 types of this; one that uses VGA/BIN chunks and one that uses a VQT chunk. Only the first type can be opened/saved, but the games seem to accept replacing the VQT type by the VGA/BIN variant.
  • Dynamix 256-colour palette (8-bit colours)
  • AdventureSoft/HorrorSoft VGA Frames file (4-bit, paletteless. Might expand this to more versions later)
  • AdventureSoft/HorrorSoft icons list (1-bit, paletteless)
  • Mythos VGS (8-bit, can contain a palette, uses last colour as transparency, can have X and Y offsets)
    -> Has some compression type I haven't quite figured out yet, and which I might look deeper into when I feel like it. But there are plenty of files that don't use it.

I worked on Dynamix BMP frames files too, but they are disabled in the tool until I actually find out how to uncompress the data.

I might disable the AdventureSoft icons list files type too; we found out that one icon is actually created from multiple frames from this file, each acting as a different colour layer, but there's no header of any kind to actually tell which images fit together. Also, since the file has no header, it identifies any file with a file size divisible by 72 as that type. I had to move it to the end of the autodetection list because of this n7.gif

I'm currently working on custom save options per type; for example, file types like CPS and VGS can be saved with or without palette, and CPS and SCR support multiple compression methods. So if you save a file as CPS, after selecting the save target, a popup box will appear with the checkbox option "Save palette inside file", and a dropdown list with the different compression types.

So far, the internal system works, but I haven't actually made the popup yet.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 12 Sep 2017, 22:48

--------------------

Command & Conquer Gold v1.06 - Upgrading C&C95, byte by byte...

Micartu
messaggio11 Sep 2017, 20:41
Messaggio #2

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: SMod
Da: Regione dell'Albero d'Oro
Utente Nr.: 1.400
BGE Elvira 1
SO WinXP

Nyerguds, thank you for your help with Elvira, sorry if i write only now, but the last month sadly i had a lot of helath problem. Now they are almost resolved.
So thank you for your help, finally i will finish my translation. I've opened the project a lot of years ago.

Now... me and Ruler a couple of months ago were working on a little secret project. Obviously a translation. We completed the translation part (all the text was in the .exe), but we had problem with the graphic. I'll tell Ruler to explain better the project to you.
Maybe you could help us again with this new graphic format.

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio11 Sep 2017, 23:21
Messaggio #3

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

All right. If it's secret, it can always happen in private messages blush.gif

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio12 Sep 2017, 22:08
Messaggio #4

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

1.1.3 released, with a load of internal changes and optimisations when it comes to handling frames.

Also, internally, the "save options" system has been implemented (well, it's in place. Only one type actually already has it fully implemented), though currently the UI for showing and actually changing the options isn't done yet, so they just revert to their defaults. None of that is noticeable as user, but internally it's all ready go blush.gif

Besides that, empty files are now handled better. When saving certain formats as frames (like the Elvira VGA frames) you get empty files to represent empty frames in the range, since there are no image formats that support 0x0 as dimensions. The tool now detects these empty files, and will skip the file type auto-detect for them, and will only use them to detect if they are part of a range of numbered frame files.

Also, I optimized all types that use run-length compression. I can't believe none of the devs back in those days seemed to realize that RLE gives better results when you only start compressing from the moment you find three repeating bytes. All RLE types I encountered become smaller when re-saved by the converter tongue.gif

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio13 Sep 2017, 02:26
Messaggio #5

Gruppo icone

Da: Bologna
Utente Nr.: 2.653
Entropologo part-time

BGE AG: Indy3
Arcade: Silpheed
Free Roaming: Shadow of the Colossus
RTS: Praetorians

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

The EGA palette for "that" game doesn't seem to be the standard EGA palette. Here is the correct one for your tool.

CLAP CLAP Maarten. Your tool is growing faster and healthy!
Files allegati
File Allegato  EGA_palette.rar ( 186byte ) Numero di download: 1

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio13 Sep 2017, 09:20
Messaggio #6

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Oh, nice! Yeah, that does look better. But the one I had was pretty close blush.gif

I released 1.1.4, with some bug fixes on the latest implementations. One of these bugs could mess up the autodetection mechanism.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 13 Sep 2017, 09:20

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio13 Sep 2017, 09:23
Messaggio #7

Gruppo icone

Da: Bologna
Utente Nr.: 2.653
Entropologo part-time

BGE AG: Indy3
Arcade: Silpheed
Free Roaming: Shadow of the Colossus
RTS: Praetorians

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

CITAZIONE (Nyerguds @ 13 Sep 2017, 10:20) *
Oh, nice! Yeah, that does look better. But the one I had was pretty close blush.gif

I released 1.1.4, with some bug fixes on the latest implementations. One of these bugs could mess up the autodetection mechanism.

You did it by hand? You missed only 2 colours IIRC. Impressive Maarten, you eat palettes at breakfast.
I took a screenshot with dosbox, imported the png into your tool and then saved the palette, so edited the ini.

Your tool did the dirty job, actually. ;-)

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio13 Sep 2017, 10:45
Messaggio #8

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

No, no, as I said in my PM, I still had the palette in there from checking out images in the Dynamix game "F-14 Tomcat". Since it matched so well I assumed it was just a standard (or at least very commonly used) EGA palette.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 13 Sep 2017, 10:49

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio17 Sep 2017, 01:14
Messaggio #9

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I just implemented a system that gives a basic type to all supported file types, and uses that to automatically filter out the choices in the "Save" dialog blush.gif

At this moment, the different types are 1-bit image, 4-bit image, 8-bit image, hi-colour image, C&C Map, and frames container. These types are used by each supported format to tell the system three things: the type(s) of the format, what input(s) the format accepts for saving to it, and, in case it's a frame container, what the type of the frames is.

Examples:
-if you load a 4-bit image, it will only show the types that can be saved from a 4-bit image, removing all file types that are specific to 8-bit. Note that high-colour formats can take any lower-bpp paletted format too, so they'll still be in the list.
-If you load a PC Command & Conquer terrain map file, it'll only allow saving that as PC C&C map file or as N64 C&C map file. It is a completely contained type not convertible to any other types. The graphical representation can be copied to the clipboard, though.
-if you load a range of 8-bit frames, the save types list will only show the types that are frames containers with 8-bit images in them, like the KORT bmp frames format.
-Since the Elvira icons-set save logic can convert any image to pure black and white by itself, and it can takes both a frame-set or a single image as input (it cuts it up into 24x24 icons itself), it will always show up in the save list of image/frames formats. Though if you choose to save as that format it'll still complain if the dimensions of an input image aren't a multiple of 24x24 pixels (or, in case of frames, exactly 24x24 pixels).
-The C&C1 tileset format is a frame containers for 8-bit crames, but it does show as single 8-bit image on index -1, so to save it as another type, it can act as both an 8-bit image and as frame container. However, at this moment the format only accept a single 8-bit image as save input (it cuts it up into frames itself), so it will not show up in the save list if you have frames loaded. I'll probably change that, though, but it takes some effort to implement.

Note that saving framed formats is distinguished from saving the single frames by going to the frame at index -1, though those formats that produce a preview frame at index -1 can also be saved as single normal image.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il Ieri, 08:01

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggioIeri, 15:22
Messaggio #10

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I'm very close to finishing the custom save options system now. All the classes and controls are done, and I just need to make a nice form that actually combines everything I made. I got kind of distracted by the fact I figured out the Elvira icons were 4-bit images, so I guess that delayed it all a bit, lol.

--------------------

Micartu
messaggioOggi, 12:25
Messaggio #11

Gruppo icone

Da: Regione dell'Albero d'Oro
Utente Nr.: 1.400
BGE Elvira 1
SO WinXP

Your tools is growing bigger and bigger every day, i'm really impressed.
Thank you.

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggioOggi, 20:51
Messaggio #12

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Progress update blush.gif

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

Modalità di visualizzazione: Normale · Passa a: Lineare · Passa a: Outline

Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 20th September 2017 - 21:13