Benvenuto Visitatore(Log In|Registrati)

4 Pagine V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel - terminato!
Nyerguds
messaggio9 Aug 2017, 17:04
Messaggio #76

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: OldGamer
Utente Nr.: 20.463
BGE Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
SO Windows7

As if you could stop me anyway biggrin2a.gif

--------------------

Command & Conquer Gold v1.06 - Upgrading C&C95, byte by byte...

hrvg
messaggio7 May 2018, 18:44
Messaggio #77

Gruppo: Gamer
Da: Nancy
Utente Nr.: 17.198
SO WinXP

Hello,
My English is bad, sorry.
I was looking for a solution for a problem with the game: Quest for Glory 1 VGA.
I saw your messages from the game: Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.
I do not understand the Italian. I'm sorry and thanks to Google.
We had solved the problem of two or three objects: Rag, Necklace and Large key. If I remember correctly. blush.gif
And sentences too long for the translated version (Italian/French).
There was also a bug with the third "Font".
This problem objects with scummvm, I do not know.
There remained the problem of subtitles in the 3 videos: The intro, half-game and end of the game.
You have fixed this problem?

PS:
For Quest For Glory 1 VGA, you can give me the link of the discussion on the translation of this game, thanks.

________________________________________________________________________________
_____
Bonsoir,
Mon français est bon. blush.gif
Je cherchais une solution pour un problème avec le jeu : Quest for Glory 1 VGA.
j'ai vu vos messages du jeu : Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel.
Je ne comprends pas l'Italien. Je suis désolé et merci à Google.
On avait résolu le problème des deux ou trois objets : Rag, necklace, Large key .
Et les phrases trop longues pour la version traduite (Italien/Français).
Il y avait aussi un bug avec la troisième "Font".
Ce problème des objets avec scummvm, je ne sais pas.
Il restait le problème des sous-titres dans les 3 vidéos : L'intro, demi-jeu et fin de jeu.
Vous avez résolu ce problème ?

PS :
Pour Quest For Glory 1 VGA, vous pouvez me donner le lien de la discussion sur la traduction de ce jeu, merci.

Messaggio modificato da hrvg il 7 May 2018, 18:46

Gwenelan
messaggio8 May 2018, 03:45
Messaggio #78

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: SMod
Utente Nr.: 19.580
BGE Planescape: Torment
SO Windows7

Hi blush.gif. I cannot help you with the technical stuff, unfortunately. We must hope that the authors of the translations will read the thread blush.gif.

--------------------
Conformati.

What can change the nature of a man?
*My Youtube Channel*

La vita è dura e grama - e poi si muore.

Chi è intelligente per definizione non può avere qualcosa di negativo da dire contro lo studio e contro il buon senso.
- Duca

Tutti hanno opinioni: io le ho, tu le hai. E fin da quando abbiamo aperto gli occhi ci hanno detto che abbiamo diritto di avere nostre opinioni. Be’, è una stronzata, naturalmente. Non abbiamo diritto di avere opinioni, abbiamo diritto di avere opinioni informate. Senza studio, senza basi, senza comprensione, un’opinione non vale niente.
È solo un farfugliamento. È come una scoreggia nella galleria del vento, gente.

hrvg
messaggio23 May 2018, 18:01
Messaggio #79

SO WinXP

QUOTE (Gwenelan @ 8 May 2018, 04:45) *
Hi blush.gif . I cannot help you with the technical stuff, unfortunately. We must hope that the authors of the translations will read the thread blush.gif .

Hello Gwenelan,
I am sorry for my late answer.
Thank you for your answer.
I am patient. Because I search for a game to translate. And for now, I do not found a game that does not pose a problem. blush.gif

Nyerguds
messaggio21 Jun 2018, 23:46
Messaggio #80

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

QUOTE (Micartu @ 9 Aug 2017, 13:10) *
But the problem is that nthis job is almost impossible, backgrounds presents shadows of the letters and lines, so it's needed to repaint the background. But background are cropped in many pieces, so you must to reconstruct the image, then repaint, then recrop. And we haven't tools to optimize the job.

QUOTE (Alpobemp @ 9 Aug 2017, 14:05) *
As Micartu has already answered, our need (but not at the top of our to do list at the moment) is sligthly different, i.e. modifying cutscene caption that are terribly managed by the game engine .

Just a heads up... when looking into Bodyworks Voyager, another Mythos game, I stumbled on this cutscenes format, and figured out how it works. I can already visualize the animation's frames in my converter tool.

From what I can see, the way these frames are saved is ridiculously inefficient and could be simplified a whole lot. I really doubt you need to recrop and optimize these parts.

Basically, all changes between two frames are cut up into small chunks, and those chunks are saved as separate frames, together with their X and Y coordinates. The video starts with one full image, and for each next frame, a bunch of these chunks are stacked together. In Bodyworks Voyager, I've seen single frames that consisted of more than 250 sub-chunks. I suppose this has the advantage that changes from previous frames can be reused for later ones (especially since the format has a way to give new coordinates to a chunk), but, to be honest, I don't see the use; since each frame requires a header, and since the format can use compression, it'll probably take less space overall to just save the differences between two frames in a single chunk.

Of course, the question is always whether the game engine will accept such a change. Haven't experimented with that so far. In fact, haven't even tested if the games accept bare files outside their usual archive. I don't actually know the full archive format; I just wrote a quick extractor that ignores half of the header information lookaround.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 23 Jun 2018, 00:48

--------------------

hrvg
messaggio22 Jun 2018, 00:15
Messaggio #81

SO WinXP

Error, sorry.

Messaggio modificato da hrvg il 22 Jun 2018, 00:30

Nyerguds
messaggio22 Jun 2018, 17:00
Messaggio #82

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Thanks to a blob detection algorithm I made a while ago, I actually managed to reproduce the compression they used.

As I expected, the difference isn't too large. On Bodyworks Voyager, an 882k file pair (VDA+VDX), when re-saved with single frames containing the differences, became 881k. When I re-optimised it with my own blob detection algorithm, it became 820k.

Now the only real challenge are the chained animations, where parts of the animation are split up into different files but without a base frame to build the graphics differences on. I'm working on a solution for this; I still need the same thing for Westwood's WSA format anyway.

[edit]

Applied to the actual Sherlock Holmes text-on-cutscenes problem:

It seems that unlike Bodyworks Voyager, Serrated Scalpel does not use RLE compression in its animations though, which does make the chunk compression useful. A resave of a 260k scene to bare cropped diff frames became 909k. Uncompressed but optimised with my chunk detection I reached 283k; slightly worse than the original. With the Bodyworks Voyager compression and no optimising, I got to 162k, and with both optimising and compression I managed to get to 158k, but since none of the animations in Serrated Scalpel have compression, I'm assuming the game doesn't know how to handle it, either.

[edit]

Revised all values; I forgot to crop the simple diff images, which of course makes loads of difference if they don't get compressed n7.gif

[edit]

Released C&C64 File Converter v1.2.10

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 27 Jun 2018, 10:04

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio23 Jun 2018, 10:31
Messaggio #83

Gruppo icone

Da: Bologna
Utente Nr.: 2.653
Entropologo part-time

BGE AG: Indy3
Arcade: Silpheed
Free Roaming: Shadow of the Colossus
RTS: Praetorians

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

My compliments Maarten, you sorted out where to place another piece of the puzzle. And in such an elegant way, as usual. ;-)

WSA used the same strange file splitting method? In which games?

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio23 Jun 2018, 10:49
Messaggio #84

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

In Dune II there are also animations without base frame like that in the intro and end cutscenes. It seems like a classic way to decrease file size loading requirements. But since Westwood doesn't use normal frame differences but instead uses XOR on the bytes, the graphics data doesn't even look right when these partial animations are viewed alone.

Animation without base frame in Mythos VDA format:

(You can also see the actual separate chunks, btw... all you need to do is move/rename the vdx file so it can't find its frame definitions)

Animation without base frame in Westwood WSA format:
(And yes, that is viewed in the correct palette. The indices on the image are just wrong without the base frame)

I'm working on an adaptation of the already-existing "load range of consecutive frames" detection system, to make it also able to handle frame-based types and merge them together to correct the missing initial frames problem. This won't be something that works for all frame-based types; I'll have to actually program it in for types like VDA and WSA that specifically need it, and they'll only do the chaining when they detect that the dropped file is indeed either a frameset without initial frame, or a frameset followed by other framesets without initial state.

v1.2.10 already contains the option to save a VDA animation without the initial frame, so it's technically already possible to use it for VDA, but currently you'll have to manually extract the final frame of the previous animation and paste it in as background behind all of the frames of the partial animation to fill in the transparent parts.

But once the frameset-chaining works, all you'll need to do to make a partial animation is convert the full chained video to frames, move the range needed for the cut part to a separate folder, copy in the frame just before it as well, then load them from there with normal frame loading, and save it with the "Leave off the first frame" option.

A slightly simpler solution may be to just add an automatic system into the vda/wsa file loading to make these types look for a previous file from which to take their initial frame. Especially since the current detection uses numbers, while partial WSA files (in Dune II anyway) use a/b/c/d/e suffixes...

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 24 Jun 2018, 17:33

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio24 Jun 2018, 16:15
Messaggio #85

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I implemented the chain-loading. I went for the simpler fix: only the missing data is loaded from a previous file (or multiple previous files if the one before it also needs one).

There is currently still one annoying quirk to this: that previous data that is loaded from the previous file is not added to the actual frames in the converter, meaning that if you then want to save that in the same format it was previously in, you need to actually add the frame from that previous file, otherwise, if you tell it to not save the first frame, you'll actually lose a frame.

[edit] Fixed this in v1.2.12; the extra loaded frame is now simply added to the start. blush.gif [/edit]

This problem does not exist in WSA format, since the format specifically contains header information indicating that it is a file without initial state, and this missing state is still treated as an actual frame. So a WSA saved without its initial frame still has the same amount of frames as one saved with initial frame; the first frame is simply left blank. When I load it from a previous file, all I do is fill that blank frame with data at the start of the loading process.

In VDA format, however, I need to make a guess whether the initial frame is missing based on some indications, but I know (and can perfectly create) a case in which my converter's guess fails. Basically, when the first found frame is the full 320x200 without X or Y offsets, and the first frame defined in the VDX is made up of a single chunk, it thinks the file has an initial frame. But in the case where that 320x200 image actually contains holes meant to be filled up with previous data, I have no way to detect that. I can't even check whether the initial frame contains transparency, since Bodyworks Voyager contains animations that use the transparent index on the palette as actual colour in the initial image. Luckily, no existing files in the games seem to actually match this problem case.

For now, the glorious result, on the Dune II image I showed above, and the new chain-loading dialog:

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 24 Jun 2018, 22:25

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio26 Jun 2018, 13:22
Messaggio #86

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Released v1.2.13, which solves a bunch of internal memory management problems, and adds an interesting extra to the chain loading feature:

I added the ability to load the missing start frame of a VDA animation from a single png file; I noticed that not all animations in Serrated Scalpel with a missing start actually have filenames that allow detecting the previous part.

Specifically, title.lib has the animation "14NOTE1.VDA", which continues from "14KICK.VDA". If you just open "14KICK.VDA" and save its last frame as "14NOTE1.PNG", this will allow the "14NOTE1.VDA" animation to load correctly blush.gif

(Note that this only specifically works with a png file)

Dropping 14NOTE1.VDA into the tool after saving the last frame of 14KICK.VDA as 14NOTE1.PNG

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 26 Jun 2018, 13:28

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio26 Jun 2018, 21:35
Messaggio #87

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio26 Jun 2018, 23:21
Messaggio #88

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Thanks blush.gif

Just curious... what do you people use to open the .lib files? As I said, I wrote a quick extractor, but I don't actually have the full format specs and don't know how to actually insert files back into a .lib file.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 27 Jun 2018, 13:24

--------------------

Alpobemp
messaggio27 Jun 2018, 11:15
Messaggio #89

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: IAGTG Member
Da: Roma
Utente Nr.: 1.733
BGE Princess Maker 2
Playing Sci Studio 3+
Conquests of Camelot
Armikrogoebiuseffect Chapters

SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Spolveratore (2)

CITAZIONE (Nyerguds @ 27 Jun 2018, 00:21) *
Thanks blush.gif

Just curious... what do you people use to open the .lib files? As I said, I wrote a quick extractor, but I don't actually have the full format specs and don't know how to actually insert files back into a .lib file.

Hi,
we used the very same tool.
It was a msdos program that could extract/insert resources by a switch (-e/-i) on the command line .
Don't remember whom was made by nor the name , but I can go through my external drive at home, it should be there.

Ciao,
Alberto

EDIT: no source code anyway, just the executable.

Messaggio modificato da Alpobemp il 27 Jun 2018, 11:18

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio27 Jun 2018, 13:29
Messaggio #90

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

QUOTE (Alpobemp @ 27 Jun 2018, 12:15) *
It was a msdos program that could extract/insert resources by a switch (-e/-i) on the command line.
Don't remember whom was made by nor the name , but I can go through my external drive at home, it should be there.

Huh? I said I wrote my own program...

Oh, wait, never mind... this is just the first type. It's a really simple index of filenames and their offsets in the file.

Their newer format is more annoying; it has 8 extra bytes per file in the header, and I have no idea what they are.

[edit]

lol, Bodyworks Voyager accepts the files even if I clear these values. Seems I was worrying about nothing biggrin2a.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 27 Jun 2018, 13:53

--------------------

Alpobemp
messaggio27 Jun 2018, 14:26
Messaggio #91

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: IAGTG Member
Da: Roma
Utente Nr.: 1.733
BGE Princess Maker 2
Playing Sci Studio 3+
Conquests of Camelot
Armikrogoebiuseffect Chapters

SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Spolveratore (2)

CITAZIONE (Nyerguds @ 27 Jun 2018, 14:29) *
CITAZIONE (Alpobemp @ 27 Jun 2018, 12:15) *
It was a msdos program that could extract/insert resources by a switch (-e/-i) on the command line.

Huh? I said I wrote my own program...

Oh, wait, never mind... this is just the first type. It's a really simple index of filenames and their offsets in the file.

Their newer format is more annoying; it has 8 extra bytes per file in the header, and I have no idea what they are.

[edit]

lol, Bodyworks Voyager accepts the files even if I clear these values. Seems I was worrying about nothing biggrin2a.gif

I think we are misunderstanding each other.

First of all, are we both talking about the same matter? ("The case of Serrated Scalpel") If not, I'm sorry, just ignore all above.

If yes, when you asked "what do you people use to open the .lib files?" I understood you were referring to the tool we used to translate Serrated Scalpel and that you were asking for tips to "insert files back into a .lib file". As I said, we did it because of a little tool developed by a guy but I don't have the faintest idea what logic it had. Likely , this tool could open and process also .lib files of the game you mentioned (Bodyworks Voyager).

Ciao,
Alberto

Messaggio modificato da Alpobemp il 27 Jun 2018, 14:27

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio27 Jun 2018, 16:49
Messaggio #92

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Yes, the file archives in the game (vgs.lib, talk.lib, walk.lib). But I said I wrote my own tool to extract files from that, and you replied with "we used the very same tool", which sounded like you meant you were using the same tool I used. That's why I was confused.

But you mean that the tool you used to put files in .lib archives was the same tool you used to extract the files. I understand now blush.gif

I was talking about "The Case of the Serrated Scalpel", Bodyworks Voyager, and "The Case of the Rose Tattoo". They all use .lib format, but Bodyworks Voyager and Rose Tattoo use a newer version of the format. I was confusing the games, and thought that the newer format was used in Serrated Scalpel, but it's not.

I tested replacing files in the new format too now (in Rose Tattoo), and it seems to work just fine, as you can see from the purple dots on Sherlock's business card. The unknown data in the newer .lib format doesn't seem to have any effect; I could change it to 00 bytes and everything still worked. blush.gif

(It seems a lot of image editors have trouble with PNG with a palette that contains transparency though, so I'll need to add a save option for PNG in my converter so it can save frames without transparency in the palette.)

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 27 Jun 2018, 19:42

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2018, 11:49
Messaggio #93

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Oh, I forgot to post this...

I made a reconstruction of the font used in the cutscenes.
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...tscene-font.zip
(You'll need my font editor to open it, of course.)

The cutscenes did not contain all capital letters, though, so some of those are reconstructed using the smaller version of the same font that's in the game files (FONT1.VGS). Also note that the size of the spaces between words is very irregular in the original game, and that there is more space between sentences than between words. Very often, there is more space before the dot character if it's a period at the end of the sentence than if it's used behind an abbreviation like "Mrs.", but even that is quite irregular.

And of course, the shadow behind the font is not part of this file. You'll have to reconstruct it yourself. The shadow is made of 20 black copies of the font text, moved to these 20 indices around [0,0]:

CODE
                           [-1,-1], [ 0,-1], [ 1,-1],
                  [-2, 0], [-1, 0],    X     [ 1, 0],
         [-3, 1], [-2, 1], [-1, 1], [ 0, 1], [ 1, 1],
[-4, 2], [-3, 2], [-2, 2], [-1, 2], [ 0, 2],
[-4, 3], [-3, 3], [-2, 3], [-1, 3]

Like the whitespace, this doesn't seem to be accurate on all letters on all scenes, but in general, it matches that pattern. It seems they messed around with this a lot.

Here's my reconstruction attempt in Gimp to figure out the pattern:

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 1 Aug 2018, 09:12

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2018, 19:10
Messaggio #94

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I'm working on a little feature to simplify adding shadows to text blush.gif

For this test, the data was simply hardcoded into the tool, but the system to take a colour and a set of coordinates to generate a shadow into the preview already works blush.gif

[edit]

Implemented. New version of the font editor is available at http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...Editor/release/

You can simply take the coordinates block from my previous post and paste it in there, and it'll work. (Even without removing the "X"; the tool doesn't do strict parsing, but just finds anything that matches the [#,#] pattern.) After the shadow is set, type your text, then right-click the preview and select "copy with transparency", and you can paste it on the frames of the video blush.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 31 Jul 2018, 11:08

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio31 Jul 2018, 09:43
Messaggio #95

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

CITAZIONE (Nyerguds @ 30 Jul 2018, 20:10) *
I'm working on a little feature to simplify adding shadows to text blush.gif

I had no doubt!:ghgh:
Your tool, Maarten, is getting nicer and bigger day by day.
Great work, it will be very useful!

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio31 Jul 2018, 13:15
Messaggio #96

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

The glorious result, as actual VDA file:

Watson seems a tad upset biggrin.gif

[edit]

Tested it in the game. It works. Doesn't even need to be in its .lib file blush.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 31 Jul 2018, 15:03
Files allegati
File Allegato  holmes1_coffee.zip ( 57.68k ) Numero di download: 0

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio1 Aug 2018, 10:09
Messaggio #97

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I figured out the spacing issue. The dot symbol has a bunch of extra space behind it, to give more width between sentences. When they write an abbreviation like "Mrs. Hudson", they simply leave off the space in between (so technically it says "Mrs.Husdon") and let the dot take care of adding the space in between.

I updated the font file with that change and a few more small fixes (like the fact the uppercase Y was one pixel too high).

They still messed around a lot, though... and it seems the space between the lines adapts to whether lines have characters sticking out at the top or bottom. My font editor can't do stuff like that, and honestly, it makes the text look irregular, so I wouldn't advise following that style.

[edit]

Just for fun, I added the font and shadow pattern for NOTE.LBV (Lestrade's letter) too, together with a blank version of the letter background made from combining the German and English versions ;)

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 1 Aug 2018, 13:14

--------------------

redice
messaggio1 Aug 2018, 22:23
Messaggio #98

Gruppo icone

Utente Nr.: 17.671
BGE Day of the Tentacle
SO WinXP

Direttore (57)

Amazing work Nyerguds!

--------------------
Il muto non si fa capire dal lama, il lama non si fa capire dal muto, il muto prova allora con una tromba, il lama invece perde la pazienza e comincia a prenderlo a sassate, il muto scappa e non sa cosa succede, voleva solo dire al lama che era muto, allora perchè il lama ha reagito così? Forse perchè in questa storia manca qualcosa, e questo qualcosa devi dirmelo tu.

Nyerguds
messaggio3 Aug 2018, 20:06
Messaggio #99

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I have another little present blush.gif

Released in v1.2.19.
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...verter/release/

Now you can use the C&C64 File Converter to paste images over a range of frames. This means that a whole video can be translated in just a few steps:
  • Find a frame without text and save it
  • Edit it to make pieces transparent (where things animate in the video), so it becomes an image you can paste over all frames to restore the image under the text and get a clean set of frames without any text on it.
  • Paste the image on the frames using the "Paste on frames" feature. It is in the menus under [Edit] -> [Animation]. It's probably best to use the "match palette" feature; even tools that support transparency on paletted png, like Gimp, tend to mess up the original palette order if transparency is involved.
  • Make translated dialogue pieces (with drop shadow) in the font editor, copy them as transparent images and save them as files.
  • Paste them on the frames where they belong, on the coordinates where the original dialogue was, using the "Paste on frames" feature.

The first two steps may need some more tweaking. Some files will have animations behind the text (like the rain in the intro). But then, you can just find the repeating pattern and, for example for a sequence of 4 frames, you can paste the first frame of the sequence on frames 0,4,8,12,16,20...; the second on 1,5,8,13,17,21...; the third on 2,6,10,14,18,22... and the fourth on 3,7,11,15,19,23... blush.gif

Of course, the changes are only inside the program. You will need to export it to frames (or to .VDA file directly) to save the modifications.

I attached an example I actually completely retitled using the font editor and this new feature.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 4 Aug 2018, 10:52
Files allegati
File Allegato  finale_4_example.rar ( 199.28k ) Numero di download: 1

--------------------

4 Pagine V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

Modalità di visualizzazione: Normale · Passa a: Lineare · Passa a: Outline

Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 15th August 2018 - 08:46