Gruppo: Founder
Da: Brianza
Utente Nr.: 593
The Answer

BGE Monkey Island 1
Playing Machinarium
SO WinVista

'11

Gustosissima intervista al mitico Mel Croucher, qui sui vostri schermi grazie a Gamanek!
http://www.oldgamesitalia.net/interviste/i...us-ex-machina-2

--------------------

Tsam
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 09:21
Messaggio #2

The Answer
Gruppo icone

Gruppo: Founder
Da: Brianza
Utente Nr.: 593
The Answer

BGE Monkey Island 1
Playing Machinarium
SO WinVista

'11

L'intervista originale:

CITAZIONE
Greetings Mr. Croucher,

First, let me thank you for accepting to do the interview and let me apologize for the delay with the reply. It is really exciting to be able to speak with you, since I'm really, really happy to see you and your team back on the road.

*** No need for thanks, Nikolas/Nic, and greetings to OldGamesItalia.***

- The original Deus Ex Machina looks like quite the trip... what's the main episode that inspired you, that moment before you said "ok, I want to make a game like this"?
*** Good question. To be honest, since I started creating computer games at Automata in 1977, I believed that it was only a matter of time before all games evolved into interactive movies with real storylines, real characters and a fully-synchronised soundtrack. I was determined to do it first, before anyone else, and by 1984 the hardware seemed capable of handling it properly. We had a whole 48K to play with! Also, by 1984, gaming themes were getting boring, the same old shit that still gets force-fed to players even today, and I wanted Deus Ex Machina to represent an antidote to stupid games where killing equals winning, greed equals success and weakness equals failure. The full answer to your question is very long indeed, and it would take a book to explain. Hey! Guess what? It has taken a book to explain! It's called "Deus Ex Machina, The Best Game You Never Played In Your Life", and I'm writing the final chapter right now. Available from deusexmachina2.com and automatasource.com from the end of November. ***

- Regarding Deus Ex Machina, someone could see the passage from Spectrum/Commodore/MSX graphics to "conceptual 3D art" like a sign that the game is something different from the original. What is your thought about this?
*** Actually, the game is very similar to the original, you can't really mess with the process from birth to death via a long life. Also, I have been able to include several sequences that were cut from the original because I ran out of memory back then and now memory is virtually limitless. What I have done for this reimagination is cut out all the futuristic dystopian crap, because the future has already happened as far as I'm concerned. This time I have set the gameplay over exactly 100 years in exactly 1 hour. I wanted the musical style to match each period of the player's life, from conception in 1948, to death in 2048, and of course the graphic styles match this timeframe too. The biggest clue to each graphics style for each level for each age is in the "silent movie" captions between every scene.***

- Could you explain what was the reality back in '80s for an independent developer? What was the difference between a common independent developer and Automata, known for the uncommon policy of charging full price even at wholesale?
*** We were ALL independent developers from when I started to when I first thought I'd quit. The arrival of the parasites was one of the reasons I turned my back on it all. The Automata difference was that we had the habit of doing things first, and making all the mistakes first, so we made the first broadcast of computer games in the UK via radio, the first compilation games album, the first celebrity endorsement, the first real-world treasure hunt, and the first soundtrack, and so on. The other main difference was the philosophy: I insisted that Automata games were non-violent, that they mocked conventional games and that they had full audio attached. In other words, we never followed any fashion, we were never slaves to any trend. As for your question about charging full price, I don't understand it, in fact with Automata products it was the opposite. We were charging around $7 for 10 games, the cheapest on the market. What we refused to do was feed the parasites who got in between us and our players: the agents, the intermediaries, the advertisers, the wholesalers, the retailers. Fuck them. We sold direct to our players mail order so we could keep our prices down. When it came to Deus Ex Machina, I was offering a video game, a movie, a rock album and a printed art poster. The street price for that bundle was around $20 at the time, so that's what I priced Deus Ex Machina at. Mistake! It was too expensive for most players, and very attractive for the pirates. ***

- Do you get inspired or influenced by other games? And, if you play "modern" games, can you tell something which impressed you? (positively/negatively)
*** I have never played games created by other people. I have a real life to live and too much to do. Occasionally I see a clip of some gameplay that I like. Limbo impressed me. It has amazingly atmospheric graphics. But I don't think I would have played it for long, just wandering around getting squished. When I see trailers for mega productions with eye-melting graphics and hyperviolent sequences I don't know whether to laugh or cry. They are all a mixture of the same basic elements, reprocessed and repackaged.***

- PiMania was not only a game, but a social event... possibly, one could see in the recent Portal and Portal 2 viral hype campaign, with their fake sites and hints, what you did with PiMania and others have done through other means. Do you think it is still possible to develop such an event nowadays, and do you plan to do it?
*** Yes. And yes. Christopher Lee has already recorded the new PiMania theme song, a pretty cool version of the punk anthem Sex And Drugs And Rock'n'Roll, with some new words by Ian Dury and me that we wrote during the Deus Ex Machina sessions. With the original game of PiMania we had fake clues and hints in the cartoon strips and in the PiMan music albums, as well as at live events, and it still took over two years to solve it! Now we have the miracles of GPS and portable devices, so everyone can become a treasure seeker as well as a treasure hider, any time, any place, any how. Imagine if we could have an infinite number of treasures located anywhere in the real world or virtual world, with access to them all. ***

- In an interview on eurogamer.net, you said "the current climate feels just like it did back in the early 80s, where anything is possible". Do you think that, given all this liberty and these possibilities, independent developers are more prone to be "lost in the crowd" than back then?
*** Yes, of course. There were only a handful of games companies on the planet in the 70s, and still only a few indies left in the 80s. I don't know how many indies there are now. A million maybe, if you include all the bedroom apps developers. This is balanced by fact that there were only a few thousand gamers when I started and now there are a billion gamers, of course. They are all bound to be lost unless they get lucky, usually by accident, sometimes by hype, rarely by sheer talent.***

- In an interview on Polygon.com you said that piracy was one of your biggest concern with Deus Ex Machina, because the lack of the music cassette.
Nowadays, games like Hotline Miami and others do wonders thanks also to piracy sites, which can work like some "try before buy" site, also telling people to "buy the game if they like it".
What's your thought about piracy now? How much did it affect the success of a game back then?

*** Of course it was annoying that Deus Ex Machina was pirated, because we lost revenue, but you're right - my biggest concern was that it was pirated without the music cassette. That meant a lot of players had no idea what it was all about, because they only experienced a dumb silent movie with a stupid avatar running through it. By the way, there were far more bootleg copies from organised crooks than there ever were from home-grown pirates. We are talking about a period long before the internet, and there is absolutely no way of knowing the exact number of pirate copies of the game that were in circulation. Our best estimate is up to twenty pirate copies for every legal copy we sold mail order. Today, I am not concerned with piracy very much. The product has the same mix of multimedia components: game, rock album, movie, book, but this time the package will be very cheap because there are no production and distribution overheads. It's funny how the removal of the parasites has changed everything! ***

- Are you still following the path of "no violence" and "audio tracks as a bonus" for your games? Do you think it will affect or change the audience of your games?
*** Yes, I am still following the path of non violent games plus bonus add-ons. No, my audience will still be the same minority ... mostly older players who want a more immersive experience. In other words, my work will never gain mass popularity. It's a fact, and I accept it.***

You returned on the gaming scene after some time and are already working on multiple remakes and new titles. One of them which turned on my curiosity-o-meter is "Musician Magician"... will it link with your other business sectors like the one about new music talents? Can you say something about it?

*** Hey, you've done your research ... Yes, The Musician Magician will definitely link to my other interests including new music and voice talent. It's a sort of video juke box mixed with a global talent show mixed with a virtual record label. Over many years I've worked with or worked for quite a few musicians and singers, some of them very well known, and it's interesting how few of them are prepared to give back what they have taken from the accident of success. But there are some very honourable exceptions, and I hope they can be involved in the project. It's not just rock music, but all music genres and styles, including classical, jazz, rap, folk, and categories I can't even define without a geiger counter. But it's a slow burn. I'd hate to risk launching before everything is properly in place. ***

I thank you again for your attention and patience and wish you all the best.

*** It's a pleasure. Avoid the bad stuff, embrace the good stuff. Keep smiling. ***

--------------------

Diduz
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 12:38
Messaggio #3

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: Oldgame Editor
Utente Nr.: 2.089
SO Linux

Sostanzialmente il proto-Tale of Tales, o proto-Jenova Chen.
Ora sono molto curioso di provare l'originale, più che il nuovo.

--------------------
"Fare una cacata è già abbastanza difficile, è il 75% del lavoro. Mi pare una follia non fare quel 25% di sforzo in più per darsi l'occasione di creare qualcosa di speciale." - Nick Herman, capo-progetto di Tales from the Borderlands (Telltale, 2014-2015)

Ragfox
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 15:43
Messaggio #4

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: SMod
Utente Nr.: 2.703
BGE Majora's Mask
Playing boh?
SO Altro

Ebbravo Gamanek.

--------------------
Progetto T.I.F.O.N.E. - Traduzione Italiana Fallout Nessuno Escluso (?)
Fallout 1 + Fallout 2 + Fallout Tactics

Gharlic
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 16:06
Messaggio #5

Il Grafobrancio
Gruppo icone

Gruppo: UST Member
Utente Nr.: 2.151
SO Win2000

Archeologo professionista (50)

Bella intervista, senza le solite risposte stringate.
Per di più va a coprire un periodo (primi anni Ottanta) e un luogo (Europa) che a livello di videogame non ho mai approfondito.

--------------------

«Io ritengo, senza ombra di dubbio, che l'UST sia il miglior gruppo di traduzioni amatoriali che l'Italia abbia avuto negli ultimi 150 anni.» S.B.

Capo
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 17:31
Messaggio #6

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: OldGamer
Utente Nr.: 571
SO WinXP

Non lo conoscevo, un mito metal.gif

--------------------

Gwenelan
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 18:52
Messaggio #7

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: Admin
Utente Nr.: 19.580
BGE Planescape: Torment
SO Windows7

Complimentoni a Gamanek blush.gif! Bella intervista, anche io son curiosa di provare l'originale. Stupendi i vari commenti sui "parassiti" XDDDD. L'unico punto che mi lascia più che scettica è:
CITAZIONE
Non ho mai giocato titoli creati da altre persone.

Ehm, sa molto di autore fantasy nostrano, questa risposta ^-^... è preoccupante.
Comunque il tizio sembra un pazzoide - in senso buono XD.

--------------------
Conformati.

What can change the nature of a man?
*My Youtube Channel*

La vita è dura e grama - e poi si muore.

Chi è intelligente per definizione non può avere qualcosa di negativo da dire contro lo studio e contro il buon senso.
- Duca

Tutti hanno opinioni: io le ho, tu le hai. E fin da quando abbiamo aperto gli occhi ci hanno detto che abbiamo diritto di avere nostre opinioni. Be’, è una stronzata, naturalmente. Non abbiamo diritto di avere opinioni, abbiamo diritto di avere opinioni informate. Senza studio, senza basi, senza comprensione, un’opinione non vale niente.
È solo un farfugliamento. È come una scoreggia nella galleria del vento, gente.

Gamanek
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 18:53
Messaggio #8

Gruppo icone

Da: Là dove non vi sono più pixel
Utente Nr.: 20.103
BGE ..gioco, ma come si fa ad avere UN gioco preferito?
Playing ...no, seriamente sono troppi e continuerei per righe e righe
SO Windows7

CITAZIONE (Diduz @ 15 Nov 2013, 12:38) *
Sostanzialmente il proto-Tale of Tales, o proto-Jenova Chen.
Ora sono molto curioso di provare l'originale, più che il nuovo.

Molto, parecchio "proto" smilies3.gif infatti ora secondo me lo sembra un po' di meno, ma per il suo tempo è una persona di un'avanguardia folle...

CITAZIONE (Ragfox @ 15 Nov 2013, 15:43) *
Ebbravo Gamanek.

smilies3.gif vuot an emotion

CITAZIONE (Gharlic @ 15 Nov 2013, 16:06) *
Bella intervista, senza le solite risposte stringate.
Per di più va a coprire un periodo (primi anni Ottanta) e un luogo (Europa) che a livello di videogame non ho mai approfondito.

Infatti quello che mi è piaciuto della persona è che non è assolutamente "irraggiungibile" o comunque con atteggiamento da star, ma anzi una persona veramente disponibile e con cui abbiamo anche avuto scambio di e-mail frequente... e comunque

CITAZIONE (Capo @ 15 Nov 2013, 17:31) *
Non lo conoscevo, un mito metal.gif

praticamente credo che per gli anni '80 in Europa lui sia uno dei punti di partenza, visto che proprio per via del mio interessamento recente al periodo l'ho scoperto, e scoperto il mostro di persona che è smilies3.gif vi invito onestamente ad andare su melcroucher.com e vedere in QUANTE COSE è coinvolto e fa...

E poi davvero... è davvero lodevole il suo portare avanti, anche dopo aver ripreso in mano il settore videoludico, la politica "no violence" e tirare fuori comunque idee interessantissime, come quelle che stanno sul sito dell'Automata...

CITAZIONE
CITAZIONE
Non ho mai giocato titoli creati da altre persone.

Ehm, sa molto di autore fantasy nostrano, questa risposta ^-^... è preoccupante.
Comunque il tizio sembra un pazzoide - in senso buono XD.

Una cosa che ha fatto un po' di effetto anche a me... ma non lo so, mi pare difficile non abbia mai provato/giocato niente... possibilmente secondo me ha voluto esagerare un po' e/o evitare di dire titoli che ha giocato superficialmente..!

Messaggio modificato da Gamanek il 15 Nov 2013, 18:55

--------------------

Join me, human, and we can rule... and we can rule, together.
Naaaah.

Gharlic
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 19:45
Messaggio #9

Il Grafobrancio
Gruppo icone

Gruppo: UST Member
Utente Nr.: 2.151
SO Win2000

Archeologo professionista (50)

Ho letto che vendette l'Automata per 10 penny.

--------------------

«Io ritengo, senza ombra di dubbio, che l'UST sia il miglior gruppo di traduzioni amatoriali che l'Italia abbia avuto negli ultimi 150 anni.» S.B.

Gamanek
messaggio15 Nov 2013, 20:28
Messaggio #10

Gruppo icone

Da: Là dove non vi sono più pixel
Utente Nr.: 20.103
BGE ..gioco, ma come si fa ad avere UN gioco preferito?
Playing ...no, seriamente sono troppi e continuerei per righe e righe
SO Windows7

CITAZIONE (Gharlic @ 15 Nov 2013, 19:45) *
Ho letto che vendette l'Automata per 10 penny.

Vendette l'automata per 10 penny all'amico/socio di cui non ricordo il nome, che era il tizio che scimmiottava dentro PiMan... anche nell'intervista lo dice: era diventato non solo infruttuoso vendere con i sistemi dell'automata (che facevano ordinare praticamente sempre tramite posta, e non vendevano a rivenditori o distributori di alcun tipo... facevano tutto "internos") ma oltretutto era comunque incazzato per via della reazione del pubblico e del mercato a Deus Ex Machina, che comunque è stato un flop per via del prezzo, mentre nel mondo ricordo che diventavano famose vere e proprie CAGATE... credo che lo scotto di vedere un settore nascere, crescere e venire "vampirizzato" da case produttrici senza un minimo di fantasia e originalità, per lui che probabilmente si sentiva un ragazzotto in un gruppo di gente che voleva davvero cambiare/stabilire un medium, è stato un po' come quando sei su un gioco online, e improvvisamente il gioco va free-to-play e mettono cash shop e cose varie per fare più soldi: prendi e te ne vai.
Quei 10 penny credo al tempo fossero comunque,per quanto simbolici, il valore di mercato dell'Automata, che in ogni caso era semi-sconosciuta rispetto le realtà emergenti delle altre software house (atari/nintendo/sega in primis) che in effetti dominavano il mercato.

--------------------

Join me, human, and we can rule... and we can rule, together.
Naaaah.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

Modalità di visualizzazione: Normale · Passa a: Lineare · Passa a: Outline

Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 5th December 2019 - 16:19