BGE AG: Indy3
Arcade: Silpheed
Free Roaming: Shadow of the Colossus
RTS: Praetorians

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

CITAZIONE
It seems the palettes of these scenes are actually designed so that each vertical row on the palette indeed has similar colours and brightness, so the high bits of the 8-bit colours (the values in the VGA chunk) can be used with, well, pretty much any vertical palette slice :P

Clever!
CITAZIONE
Anyway, I have no idea if the game can actually be played on these lower colour depths, but if we don't take that into account, writing the converter for this will be really easy. And, really, since it's all due to the palette design, we can't really take it into account...

Are you saying that if we edit the image and convert back into VGA/BIN format the engine will do the work on the palette to display the colour correctly?

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio25 Jul 2017, 21:51
Messaggio #102

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: OldGamer
Utente Nr.: 20.463
BGE Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn
SO Windows7

It should, yes, but it seems in my tests that it doesn't accept the uncompressed image. For compression 0 or 1 it just displays a black screen. That's a big problem since we don't have actual LZA compression at this moment, and I'm not clear enough on how it works to even make dummy compression that just adds the code-bytes between the data to make it valid LZA without compressing it.

What's more, I'm encountering graphical glitches errors when trying RLE encoding on these images, and I'm not sure if it's a problem in encoding or decoding...

--------------------

Command & Conquer Gold v1.06 - Upgrading C&C95, byte by byte...

TheRuler
messaggio26 Jul 2017, 19:29
Messaggio #103

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: SMod
Da: Bologna
Utente Nr.: 2.653
Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

DYNAMIX.SCR has VQT ad it is not compressed. What happen if you put VQT header on your BIN converted image with 0 compression and give it to the engine?
If I do it with another bin image it works.

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio29 Jul 2017, 11:09
Messaggio #104

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I tried getting visual data out of the VQT files, but there's nothing recognizable in them. I have no idea how to handle them. Even i it's not actually compressed, it still isn't raw image data...

I'll see what it does, but I doubt it'll work.

Fixed the bug in my RLE compression, by the way. Was a little harmless optimization that I stupidly put one line too high in my code tongue.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 29 Jul 2017, 11:10

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio29 Jul 2017, 12:33
Messaggio #105

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

There's some kind of header on these VQT chunks; they almost always start with bytes FF or FE. Without more information on that I really can't get more out of that.

I'm going to continue looking into generating dummy-LZW compression, so the output isn't actually compressed but has LZW code bytes in between to make it valid LZW content. That shouldn't be too hard. I just have to debug through the decompression process a few times to see how it works.

That said, I'm still on vacation and won't have that much time to actually dig into this tongue.gif

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio29 Jul 2017, 17:26
Messaggio #106

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Thank you for your interest and all your help, I really appreciate that but now, GO SWIMMING and ditch the computer! XD

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio29 Jul 2017, 17:47
Messaggio #107

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Nowhere around here to swim at the moment; we're touring Bretagne and are currently staying over at some friends' place. They don't have a pool, and going to the coast would need a short drive by car. I'm doing this in my "down-time" hours tongue.gif
(I'm not a programmer because that's my job. I made programming my job because I like to program metal.gif)

I think I'm slowly wrapping my head around LZW compression. The examples I found were mostly for compressing strings, and were useless in terms of how to actually write the compressed data to a file, but in combination with the decompression code, I'm finally starting to figure it out. So we might have actual LZW compression soon blush.gif

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 15:02
Messaggio #108

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

So even if DYNAMIX.SCR VQT chunk seems, apparently, not compressed at all, do you say it is, lightly at least?
I tried TrID (http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html) on single chunks without header, but no known binary signature have been found.
The only file recognized was VGA files from Elvira... as an Adobe Photoshop Brush file. No luck, obviously.

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 20:26
Messaggio #109

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I never said it was not compressed;I said it wasn't one of the 2 known compression types...

I'm still looking into LZW, but it seems that implementing dummy-LZW is about the same level of difficulty as just implementing the actual compression, and that half of it is already more or less in the decompression code (namely, the way it automatically builds its dictionary while it reads the file), so it won't be that much longer before I manage to implement it blush.gif

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 21:26
Messaggio #110

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

CITAZIONE (TheRuler @ 26 Jul 2017, 20:29) *
DYNAMIX.SCR has VQT ad it is not compressed. What happen if you put VQT header on your BIN converted image with 0 compression and give it to the engine?
If I do it with another bin image it works.

What exactly did you do that worked? Because the uncompressed and combined output of the bin/vga file poured into a vqt segment gives this result:

Seems it tries to decompress it into blocks, somehow...

Note that vqt doesn't even have the typical compression header; it doesn't specify a compression type and uncompressed length like the other ones do, leading me to believe that "vqt" itself is a specification of the compression.

(It seems I used up all of the 500k available for uploads on the forum, and could not attach this 11k file! Could that be expanded a bit too? tongue.gif)

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 30 Jul 2017, 21:29

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 22:36
Messaggio #111

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Now I've got what you tried (and intended) with compression.
What I did was take two SCR images and take the BIN chunk of the firs and replace the BIN chunk of the second, adjusting the sizes.
The result was a meshed up images of the 2 SCRs. I don't have in this computer the screenshot (I am not at home at the moment).
I don't know if this test could be of any help, just wanted to share a bare experiment.

--------------------

rolloLG
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 22:50
Messaggio #112

Gruppo: Gamer
Utente Nr.: 8.061
SO Amiga OS

shocked.gif
Non ci posso credere! Fantastici ragazzi, è un colpaccio poter finalmente tradurre anche questi grandi classici ingiustamente dimenticati!
bananab.gif

--------------------

Amiga A1200 B1260@66MHz. ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS CPU: i7-8750H, RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, Gfx: GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5, Screen: G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2 17" 1080p 144Hz, HD: SSD + NVMe, Audio: Realtek HD (ALC295), Controllers: Speedlink USB Competition Pro SL-650212-BKRD, XBox One Bluetooth controller, Microsoft PN7-00004 Bluetooth mouse.
Hexaae

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 23:06
Messaggio #113

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

I found the solution.

There's some bit that can be activated on the highest bit of the file size of the SCR chunk. I never really looked at that bit, and overall, ignored it.

Enabling that bit mysteriously makes it work.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 30 Jul 2017, 23:19

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 23:24
Messaggio #114

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

And here is, sir, your monument.

I have no words Maarten. GREAT JOB! GREAT!

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio30 Jul 2017, 23:32
Messaggio #115

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Here's the tool. This is actually a tool I made for converting image formats of the Nintendo '64 ROM of Command & Conquer; hence the name. But I added support for loading and converting Dynamix .scr and .pal files.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/projec...er_v1.00.09.zip

So just screenshot the scene you want in DOSBox or convert the scene's pal file to .png, edit it the way you want, and then open the 320x200 8-bit png file in the tool, go to file -> save and select "Dynamix Screen file" in the type menu.

Note that you can also export the png file to Dynamix palette, so if you modified the png's palette (and the scene contains no other sprites) that's not even an issue ;)

Oh, you'll also notice the tool contains undocumented support for opening the identifiable 4-bit frames of the Elvira .vga format... and, in fact, for opening and saving its 1-bpp icons file. (Maybe I should remove that, since it means it'll auto-detect any file with a size divisible by 48 as that. But I put it at the end of the autodetect list, at least tongue.gif)

There's still some things in the tool that could be slightly better; it's still full of debug code and incomplete checks and such, but eh, it'll do for your purpose. It compresses with RLE, by the way, but I could disable that if you really don't want it tongue.gif

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 24 Oct 2019, 12:24

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio31 Jul 2017, 16:29
Messaggio #116

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Hi Maarten, I'll extensively try THE TOOL as soon as I reach my home computer.
Now I am just playing with mysel...ehm, with it and it is doing its job! Thanks for the VGA support also! It was totally out of the blue!
I saw it displays mostly black frames. Is because they aren't 4bpp?

I'll report any bug/unexpected behaviour I could encounter. If you mind.

Meanwhile:

And if it isn't enough...

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio1 Aug 2017, 18:18
Messaggio #117

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

The Elvira .vga support is very incomplete; it can only open files, not save them, and there are 2 different image formats inside the file, one of which I haven't been able to decipher so far. So it's not really useful except as viewer, for now...

In fact the whole "file with multiple frames" support in that tool is somewhat experimental, and there is no good way to convert to or from files with frames.

Maybe I should add a simple "export as raw" option that allows you to convert existing images from whatever format they are to raw bytes... that could probably help you to edit more types.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 1 Aug 2017, 18:22

--------------------

Micartu
messaggio1 Aug 2017, 18:44
Messaggio #118

Gruppo icone

Da: Regione dell'Albero d'Oro
Utente Nr.: 1.400
BGE Elvira 1
SO WinXP

Hi Nyerhuds, i'm the translator of Elvira, i'm here only to say thank you. The job you have done so far is incredible.
Could it be possible that the frame you can't visualize properly are the ega version of the image? Or maybe we are visualizing the ega one?
If I'm not wrong the graphic file contain both version (ega and vga) of the same image. I'm wrong?

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio2 Aug 2017, 07:42
Messaggio #119

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

For the unidentified type I do have the frame dimensions, and if you open a .vga file in the converter you'll see they are usually all different sizes, and there is no pattern of frames being repeated in both formats. So I really doubt it will be something like that.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 2 Aug 2017, 07:42

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 09:38
Messaggio #120

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Hah, I just found out there's a v3 of the Dynamix font in Betrayal at Krondor. Identical to v2, but 8-bit. I doubt anyone will need it for translating the game, though, since it's only used for the arcane symbols font biggrin2a.gif

That said, the other fonts in Betrayal do use the same font format as these adventure games, so they can already be edited with my font editor. The original files all seem to use RLE as compression.

Now I'm interested in looking into more Dynamix games tongue.gif

[edit]
Yeah, the font from "The Incredible Machine" is also Dynamix v2. Looks like we unlocked a lot of editing potential here.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 3 Aug 2017, 11:30

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 11:35
Messaggio #121

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

Glad to see your editor is growing fast!
I thought there were only few games made by Dynamix but I was wrong! They planted their code into many!

--------------------

Micartu
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 11:56
Messaggio #122

Gruppo icone

Da: Regione dell'Albero d'Oro
Utente Nr.: 1.400
BGE Elvira 1
SO WinXP

Red baron!

--------------------

Nyerguds
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 14:57
Messaggio #123

Gruppo icone

SO Windows7

Found another type. The font in "Abrams Battle Tank" is identical to the older type in Heart of China, but without the "FNT:" chunk name and its size at the start. Since the header specifies the width and height I can still detect the type by checking if the file size matches the actual font content size.

Messaggio modificato da Nyerguds il 3 Aug 2017, 14:58

--------------------

TheRuler
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 19:45
Messaggio #124

Gruppo icone

Entropologo part-time

Playing Magari...
SO Windows7

OGI Supporter

I think you could find similarities with DGDS even in Stellar7. A game I loved on my 286 back then.
According to the screens it has much in common with "rise of the dragon", in fact.

.RES files have SCR BMP VGA BIN and INF tags.
Font should be in stellar7.exe that is packed wit LZEXE v0.91, UNP will do the trick.

--------------------

The Ancient One
messaggio3 Aug 2017, 21:24
Messaggio #125

Gruppo icone

Gruppo: Admin
Da: Britannia
Utente Nr.: 1.377
pulley-in-the-middle

BGE Ultima 7
Playing Ultima 7: "Il Portale Oscuro" IN ITALIANO!

Dungeon Master 1 (PC - DosBox)
Sonic (Wii)
Runaway (PC)

SO WinXP

CITAZIONE (Nyerguds @ 3 Aug 2017, 10:38) *
Hah, I just found out there's a v3 of the Dynamix font in Betrayal at Krondor. Identical to v2, but 8-bit. I doubt anyone will need it for translating the game, though, since it's only used for the arcane symbols font biggrin2a.gif

That said, the other fonts in Betrayal do use the same font format as these adventure games, so they can already be edited with my font editor. The original files all seem to use RLE as compression.

Now I'm interested in looking into more Dynamix games tongue.gif

[edit]
Yeah, the font from "The Incredible Machine" is also Dynamix v2. Looks like we unlocked a lot of editing potential here.

Wow! Betrayal at Krondor!

That's a game I'd like to translate!

--------------------

6 Pagine V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 utenti stanno leggendo questa discussione (1 visitatori e 0 utenti anonimi)
0 utenti:

Modalità di visualizzazione: Normale · Passa a: Lineare · Passa a: Outline

Versione Lo-Fi Oggi è il: 13th November 2019 - 17:48